Update, update!

Weekly miles run: 44
Total mileage this season: 348

Dear Adoring Fans,

I’ve been meaning to write a post for weeks now but work, training, and everyday life seems to have gotten in the way. Last Sunday I sat down and wrote almost all of this post but then got distracted before publishing. This Sunday–well, if you are reading this, it means that I had the stick-to-it needed to finish writing!

Marathon training is going really well. It feels like we’ve gotten up into the high mileage quickly, and I know I am running more weekly miles than I have in the past, but I’m feeling good . Last  Saturday I ran 15.3 miles and had one of the best runs I’ve ever had. My fastest mile was the last one–9 minutes 21 seconds (for me, this is fairly fast). I felt strong and solid the whole run. It is always nice to see some results from the training during the week. Or maybe I just had a good day. Yesterday they ramped the mileage up on us (or rather, the time–instead of running for mileage, our training schedule generally calls for a length of time to run.) My running partner Scott and I ran for three hours, covering ~17.5 miles. It was a good run, even if I wasn’t feeling quite as zippy as I had last week.

Last night my friend organized a short hike at Sabino Canyon to see the full moon, and happily my legs and feet were feeling good enough to join them on a 2-3 mile stroll up the main trail. It actually felt pretty good to keep things loose and moving. This morning I ran about 9 miles, and while of course my legs were tired and my blisters hurt at first (oh, the blisters. I could write a whole post about my blisters…), the run felt good. Mind you, I am very glad that tomorrow is a rest day.

The moral of the story: my training is going really well!

I’ve had some other adventures since I last wrote. In early March I flew up to Colorado to see Samuel and Alani in their high school musical. I have known these guys since they were two and I really can’t believe they are going to graduate from high school this year.

Samuel, Jennie, and Alani at Beauty and the Beast

In mid-March I flew back east to Washington, D.C., where I was coordinating a big reception to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Migratory Bird Joint Ventures. It is something we’ve been planning for the past seven or eight months, so it was a great relief to finally arrive at the big day. The reception was a success, as were various meetings and visits with some of our Congressional representatives. I’ve got some better pictures somewhere that I’ll post next time, but for now, here’s a view of the poster as you walked into the reception. And check out this amazing video that the folks at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology helped us put together (for those of you who follow me on Facebook, this is the end result of the morning I got to spend with the Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar.)

The cherry blossoms were in their full, blooming glory. Everywhere you looked were these giant powder puff white and pink trees, lining the banks of the river, surrounding the monuments, in front of the Capitol…it was truly spectacular. One morning I went out for a 9.5 mile run that started at the Capitol, went down through the Mall, out past the Washington Monument, the WW2 Memorial, and the Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial, down across the Memorial Bridge towards Arlington National Cemetery and then back across, and then down and around the tidal basin, through the Roosevelt Memorial, by the Jefferson Memorial, and finally back to see the MLK Jr. Memorial before running back the way I came. There were cherry trees in bloom every way I looked and I couldn’t help but stop to snap a few pictures on my iPod.

Looking back towards the National Bridge.

MLK Jr. Memorial.

As I ran along the tidal basin I realized I was looking at an empty field that had been the transition zone for the Nation’s Triathlon. It was crazy to see it so still, quiet, and empty.

Nation's Triathlon transition zone, in the off season.

I had a few hours free one afternoon and headed over to the Library of Congress, which was literally across the street from my hotel. It was a library, of course, but it also felt like a museum. The building was spectacular and they had a number of really interesting exhibits that were open to the public.

Library of Congress lobby.

Of course, the one room that I really wanted to see, the main reading room, was not open to the general public. They did have a viewing gallery, which I went to and peered in, but that just made me want to go in even more. In order to gain entry you have to have a reader’s card, so I decided, what the heck, I’ll get a card to the Library of Congress. Why not! I had to take an underground tunnel back to one of the other buildings, but the process was actually pretty straightforward. After about 10 minutes of filling out forms and getting my picture taken, I walked out of the office with this:

Jennie's LOC Reader Card.

You were not allowed to take pictures inside of the main reading room, so if you want to see what it looked like, check here: http://citybuzz.com/washington-dc/explore-washington-dc/treasure-hunting-at-the-library-of-congress. Who could resist the opportunity to go sit at one of those little desks and read? Not this girl.

I also got to spend an evening with my Aunt Mary and cousins Max and Nellie (the wife and two of the children of my Uncle Kenny, who I run in memory of) and had a nice visit with my friend Helen.

Helen (with baby in belly!) and Jennie.

Washington Monument with cherry blossoms.

One last gratuitous cherry blossom shot, this one from Bethesda, MD.

Since returning from Washington I’ve been busy with work, but have found time for plenty of other fun stuff besides marathon training.

A visit to the San Xavier Mission, Tucson.

Eating the spoils from my square-foot garden! (Lettuce, kale, and spinach are ready for harvest so far).

Riding my new bike! I got a new commuter bike and have been loving riding to work every day.

Hiking on the David Yetman Trail.

Attending the season opener of the Tucson Padres (they lost).

Hanging out with javelina. I’ve seen these guys two weeks in a row at the same spot on my Wednesday morning run. 

The Official Fundraising Update!
After starting with a bang, fundraising has been holding steady for the past few weeks. So far we have raised $930 this season, 32% of my ultimate goal of $3,000 by April 30, 2012. If you have been thinking of donating but haven’t gotten around to it, don’t be shy! Make a donation to help support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in its mission to find a cure for blood cancers. Any amount helps, from $5 to $500–just click on the link on the right to make a secure, online donation (or contact me if you’d prefer to send a check). And if you are unable to make a financial donation, your moral support is just as welcome.

This is truly team effort, and I couldn’t do it without you.

Until next time!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s